Roving Reporter out and about... We were at the new Public Engagement Committee Meeting. We think it is a great format for Ratepayers.
Roving Reporter out and about….
The Alliance team were at the very first Public Engagement Committee meeting on Wednesday 4th February.
- We really like the fact that the community now has direct access to speak to some of the Councillors about ideas or issues they have.
- People can speak for a lot longer, there is time for Councillors to ask questions, and the speakers could also ask questions. There was also an attempt with all speakers to work out what steps could be taken to address, or look in to, what they had brought up.
The Elected Officals on this Committee are:
Chairperson – Murray Chong
Deputy – John Woodward
Mayor Max Brough
EJ Barrett
Graham Chard
Christine Fabish
Damon Fox
Kerry Vosseler
Originally 6 people booked to speak but 4 people made it to the meeting.
So, what did the people talk about ?
The first speaker
A person from the Waitara Offshore Fishing Club had spoken to the previous Council about issues with damage to the jetty and landing at Waitara, which has not been repaired, and damage that has been happening on land adjacent to the Yacht Club. They had asked the last Council for assistance towards cameras to put on the Yacht Club.
They mentioned they have a big competition day soon expecting 114 Boats to launch and about 1,400 people to use facilities in about 1.5 hours. They also said on a good day mid-week around 70 boats launch at Waitara. There are a number of the community using the boating facilities.
When they have had working cameras in the past both the Police and Coast Guard have accessed camera footage.
They asked the Public Engagement Committee if it would be possible to consider some funding to assist with an upgrade to cameras.
After questions from 4 of the Councillors it was suggested a formal request was put to the Waitara Community Board, whose role is to support the Waitara Community.
The second speaker
A person who uses Ngamotu Beach regularly wanted to ask if the Council would consider putting BBQ’s at the beach for the public to use. It was mentioned there used to be BBQ’s there 10-15 years ago. It was also referenced that other parts of the city do have BBQ’s for public use.
An approach had been made to Port Taranaki, who owns the land where the BBQ’s would need to be put. They had advised that maintaining BBQ’s was not a core function for the Port operation.
There was a discussion that BBQ’s which have been put in other areas of New Plymouth have cost in the region of $40,000 each.
There was discussion this seemed very expensive, but the existing BBQ’s have run on power and the installation of cable for them to operate has been a large cost. It appears they also have structural cover from the weather, adding to the cost.
There were discussions about how it may be possible to accommodate this type of request, but also brought up that with last year’s campaigning the community sent a loud message about scaling back on nice to have spending.
Gareth Green clarified for the Committee that they can discuss options to progress ideas, but that the Chair and the Committee do not have authority to make any decisions.
Funding would not be available for an initiative like this until the next Annual Plan was discussed, which would be after 1 July 2026.
The next 2 people who spoke covered Fluoride.
We were told this is a topic of concern to a number of the community who actively purchase water that does not contain fluoride, and for health reasons do not consume water with fluoride in it.
In 2023 the government mandated that all Councils in NZ had to add fluoride to the drinking water supply. So, the NPDC does not have a choice about adding Fluoride to the main supply.
Both speakers mentioned a Court Case in California in 2024. This case found there was an unreasonable risk to children’s health and credible scientific evidence in particular for pregnant women, and children, with fluoridated water.
Other groups of the community with health issues were also mentioned with the possibility of being at risk from Fluoride.
One of the speakers on this topic Teresa Goodin – who is also on the Community Board in Oakura – has previously been instrumental in having fluoride removed from New Plymouths drinking water when doctor’s, dentists and scientists presented information to the Council in 2011.
Both speakers mentioned that the Ministry of Health with the 2023 Fluoride drinking water mandates allowed for Councils to set up an alternative source of non fluoridated water for the public to access.
One of the presentations included information about how 14 other Councils in NZ are providing a fluoride free water supply, how they are treating this at the source, and that this is also free of charge to access.
One of the speakers mentioned a trial had been explored for a non fluoride water supply at the New Plymouth Race Course, and she mentioned correspondence she had with the previous Mayor about the law allowing for a trial. The Race Course water was not suitable for drinking so the trial did not get underway.
- The Councillors and Staff advised money was in the LTP budget for an alternative non-fluoridated water supply, and there was money still left in this budget.
It was also mentioned there is a tap in Oakura which accesses an artesian supply of water.
This topic was left where the available budget would be confirmed by Council staff, the option of a Community Board also taking on an option of funding toward a supply, and whether the community is behind this alternative Fluoride option being set up.
Teresa Goodin is keen to hear from anyone in the community who would like the Council to provide a Fluoride Free Water station for access to water without fluoride in it.
Teresa is on the Kaitake Community Board – in Oakura. If you support Teresa’s message, email, text or message her to let her know with one of these options:
E-mail:
Phone/Text:
027 454 3585
Facebook:
Two other things were covered by one of the speakers.
First, it was mentioned a number of people were not happy to find they had voted to have the Tim Tams removed when they cast their votes last year, but they have now found that the Tim Tams can’t be removed. It was mentioned that people feel let down that the removal has not happened. Max’s campaign was mentioned as a big influence for votes around this issue.
Several Councillors mentioned the distinct lack of data that was available in last December’s meeting for Councillors to be able to make a definite decision about the removal of the cycleway.
Max pointed out that the new Council team had only been in their roles for 4 months which is very early days (this has included 6 weeks of no Council meetings with the Holiday closedown). He advised a meeting was to be held on the evening of 4th February to fine tune the trial for the cycleway so the situation can progress.
There was a mention that the councillors involved with the trial set up are pushing for cameras and counters to provide footage for clear information going forward.
Graham Chard mentioned having to weigh up the desire of Ratepayers to reduce operating costs. With the costs given to Councillors in December to remove Time Tams being in the region of $1M to $2M, this was not something he could support in terms of reducing costs.
The second point mentioned was a billboard on SH3 on the road in to New Plymouth at the top of Burgess Hill which has no English language on the billboard, only Te Reo. This was something some of the Councillors were not aware of. It was discussed that as well as local people not being able to understand what was on the sign, tourists visiting New Plymouth would not be aware what the meaning of this sign was either, and may not know if they are welcome to visit the city.
The Councillors advised the sign in question would be looked at and how, and what budget, may be able to add English words to the sign.
Our thoughts on the meeting
Observing this meeting format, we found the atmosphere was very welcoming and supportive of the speakers’ views. There was a willingness to listen and ask questions to understand.
As well as things that people may not be happy about, this group of Councillors are very keen to hear ideas the community has relating to the Council.
We would highly recommend others in the community who have something they would like to say go to the next meeting.
If you like this new approach by the Council you might like to let other people know. The next meeting is in April.
Posted: Thu 12 Feb 2026
